Sunday, February 24, 2008

Special Announcement!

This is post number 100 in Aspect of the Hare.

This blog began in August of last year, when I had only been playing for a few months and was just level 48 or 50 or so. I realized that I was spamming my Livejournal with WoW rambles and decided I needed a new place to put them. So I started this blog and began posting my WoW rambles here, convinced that nobody would ever read them or even want to read them. In fact, now that I think about it, it probably would have turned into another one of my unfinished projects: I'd write for a while and then quit, and nobody would notice.

And yet here I am; six months later and level 70, and I've made 100 posts and Feedburner tells me I have no less than 149 subscribers. I have no idea if that's accurate or not but regardless, I'm here to thank you all. Thank you to everyone who has ever linked to me or read my posts or commented on my posts or came here from Google searching for hunter advice or WoW-On-Linux advice. I have read every single one of your comments. I don't always respond to them, but I read them all thoroughly and I cherish every compliment and take to heart every bit of advice.

I have no idea why you guys find my ramblings so interesting or entertaining, but thank you.

Here I would also like to throw out a special shout-out to Kestrel for being the first person to ever comment here. Kestrel, I'm not sure how you found me-- I'm gonna guess through my Blogger profile link in a comment at BRK, or something-- but really, look what you did! All of a sudden I seem to be popular! =P Thank you for showing me that I was in fact a not-too-terrible blogger and inspiring me to branch out and really start to participate in the WoW-blog-community.

The other day my boyfriend and I were talking a little bit about some of the awkwardness that comes with the transition between a "casual-hanging out" guild and a "casual-raiding" guild; my main's guild is going through that transition right now and I won't deny it's been a little awkward to have to go from being "the guild's main hunter" to "one of several good hunters in the guild". I've been spoiled, I think, and I have to keep reminding myself that I am no longer one of the few people around that can do my job, and that it's not a bad thing.

But lemme paraphrase what I told him last night. I said: "In the end, I don't have to be the best hunter on the server, or even the best hunter in the guild. I just want to be the girl who loved her class the most and made the most of it. If I can do that, then I will have succeeded."

And I mean every word of that. And my blog is like that too. This isn't here to be the most informative blog or the funniest blog or the most popular blog. This is here so passers-by can stop by for a bit, take a deep breath, and re-experience a little of that joy and magic that I feel so often in this game. There are a lot of little things in this game that make me happy. And I want to share that happiness with you. Because too often we get caught up in drama or problems or making the game less fun than it's supposed to be. And if one of my posts has reminded somebody for just a split second, "Hey, this game can actually be pretty fun!" ...well, then I've done my job.

I sat down with a pencil and paper for the first time in a while today:



It's sketchy and unfinished, but I kinda like it that way. Tawyn, Tux, and Locke all say "Thank you".

Now, on to the next 100 posts!

*tosses confetti*

13 comments:

Nialla said...

Grats on your 100 posts. Yeah, Kestrel was the first comment on my blog too. Yay for Kestrel!

I love the sketch it's cute! Keep up the awesome work pike :D

Anonymous said...

aww gratz on the 100 posts! I'm similar with the unfinished projects etc - I'm surprised I've lasted so long with the blogging!

I love reading your blog and am one of your subscribed readers, but I always have to click through to the actual site cause I love the look of it as well as the content :)

The pic is great! I wish I had some talent for drawing! lol

Anonymous said...

Grats Pike!. I always enjoy reading your posts...your comments flow really well into what you are writing. I know that I always like being a hunter a little bit more after reading your blog...so Thank you!
Also cool pic, you have a real talent. Thanks for sharing it.

Looking forward to the next 100!

Amy said...

Sooooo Cuuuuuute! Love the picture

congratulations on reaching 100! Its a strange thing about blogging, its very easy to keep up with unlike some other projects, I guess its because you get to see peoples responses early on, plus having a love of writing helps!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Pike!

That is awesome and I am looking forward to a 1,000 more posts!

Love the picture! Makes me want to give them all hugs!

Jim S. said...

Ding.That is Post 100!

Gradz on post 100. I enjoy reading your blog. Please keep up with the good work!


Really nice pictures.

Anonymous said...

CG Pike! Yey for the first 100 and here's looking forward to the next 100!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Pike!

Although I've only recently been following your WoW journey, it's been most enjoyable and your love for the class most definitely shines through. That is probably what made me a subscriber!

Here's to another 100 posts!

Anonymous said...

Grats on 100 posts, and big thanks to you, for making one of my "happy places." /in-game cross-faction hugz!

Tazbutane said...

Congratulations on 100 posts! I think you are accomplishing everything you have set out to with this blog and more. Your humility and politeness are very refreshing. You also bring a fresh and unique perspective to the blog with your obvious joy of playing the hunter class and the game.

The drawing is also very cute, your talent for writing and drawing should make you proud. Thank you for sharing both of them with all of us.

Anonymous said...

Pike,

I can't say grats for writing 100 posts...because it's clear you enjoy it and there are so many more to come! Love the little sketch and I still enjoy reading up on ya.

Laterz,
Caitlin

Boozsha said...

Congo Rats to you!!!!

I've enjoyed all the reads.

Anonymous said...

You know, if I hadn't been out of the country for a week, I'd have been here a lot sooner!

ONLY a hundred articles?? I'd have sworn you were way past that! But every one's been a gem, Pike, and I'm glad I was able to give you even a little encouragement. :D